That’s right- instead of using liquid vanilla extract, we substitute with our own homemade vanilla bean paste, and it makes a world of difference.
We couldn’t sing higher praises for this decadent baker’s delight. It is much more potent in flavor than plain old vanilla extract, and much healthier to make at home (because anything you buy in the store will be loaded with refined sugar.)
This little trick is excellent because you can use it in the same way as liquid vanilla extract, (follow a 1:1 ratio) and it won’t change the texture of your baked goods because overall it’s such a negligible amount.
This paste also makes the perfect gift to your favorite baker or health geek!
- 6 vanilla beans
- ½ cup of agave (honey or vegetable glycerin do fine also)
- 1 TBS + 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until fully pureed. You can pre-chop the vanilla beans if you want to save time.
- Scoop the mixture into your nut milk bag, and squeeze mixture into a bowl.
- Store in an airtight container, and refrigerate.