Cashews are another favorite nut we love to milk. Packed with protein, nutrients, and good fats- the milk from these nuts is some of the creamiest of all the nuts, and one of our personal favorites here at Nutiana.
If you are raw vegan, I’m sure you’ve had cashews on your grocery list more than a few times. Cheesy kale chips? Raw cheesecake? Vegan nacho dip? Ringing any bells?
Once soaked, their texture and taste renders them the perfect supplement for cheeses and dairy products, which is why they are one of the most popular nuts for raw vegans, paleos, or anyone with an aversion to diary. The secret is their mild, yet nutty taste combined with a high fat content, which results in a super close resemblance to dairy products. No matter what diet you follow, we are sure you will fall in love with the creaminess and versatility of cashew milk, too! Still, the popularity of the cashew in health food markets isn’t just attributed to it’s amazing taste, take a look at the nutritional profile of this little nut:
In just one 1 oz of cashews:
Fat (the good kind!) 12g
Vitamin K 9.5 mcg (12% daily value)
Magnesium 81.8 mg (20% daily value)
Phosphorus 166mg (17% daily value)
Potassium 185mg (5% daily value)
Zinc 1.6mg (11% daily value)
Copper 0.6 mg (31% daily value)
Manganese 0.5 mg (23% daily value)
Selenium 5.6 mcg (8% daily value)
Keep in mind you are using roughly 16 oz for the recipe below, now that’s some muscle milk!
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 8 cups water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 t vanilla extract (optional)
- 2-3 pitted dates (optional)
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Soak cashews in water to cover for 4-24 hours in refrigerator. Drain and rinse.
- Blend soaked cashews plus 8 cups water plus optional ingredients if using in a high-speed blender for 2 minutes.
- Strain blended mixture by placing nut milk bag into a bowl or pitcher and pouring in the mixture. Gather top of nut milk bag with one hand while gently wringing out liquid with the other. Continue wringing and squeezing until the milk stream stops.
- Enjoy this delicious treat by itself, in smoothies, over granola or anywhere you would use dairy milk. Store unused cashew milk in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Separation of cream is normal, just shake before using.